Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tire treatment
I do not soak my tires
i only treat the outside edge (track edge)

Chems

lacquer thinner
brake fluid
platen cleaner
or anything else that softens rubber
Mike have you ever tried mixing flowable silicone in with your tire dressing.
I used to mix Laquer Thinner and flowable silicone together back when i was re-building tires.
Just curious if you've ever tried something along those lines on older tires.
Rick

(08-31-2011, 03:53 PM)slotking Wrote: I do not soak my tires
i only treat the outside edge (track edge)

Chems

lacquer thinner
brake fluid
platen cleaner
or anything else that softens rubber

no coating allowed, and it will be found at this race :-)
but I do get the tires soft
Damn tech inspectorsDodgyBig Grin
also
We did allow JL tires at 1 point and they had so much grip, we were launching out of the slots!

The stock tires help reduce this
now I mostly use the tire treatment for RC and 1/24th slot car sponge tires
I wish I knew exactly what the context of this thread was all about? Are you running foam tires? If so, you can soften them using Sunscreen 30 - 50. ZipGrip tire prep for 1/24th scale racing works, and smells, great. It may ruin plastic with repeated contact.
For silicone tires you can soften them by soaking overnight is Orange Goo creamy hand cleaner. You can clean with masking tape (clean room tape works better but is very expensive), you can blob prep using aloe juice (right from the plant is preferred). Anyone ever lay down a couple pieces of double sided tape on your straight section to clean your tires as the car goes through each lap?
Obviously, none of this stuff is legal anywhere.
thanks

it is about Greenbrier race cars
it is a mini enduro up here in rochester, ny

we have to use stock t-jet tires
When we had an F1 Mega G series that only allowed the stock tires that came with the cars (generally rubber like the original T-Jet tires) I found an edge. If you coat the outside with belt dressing (the kind you use for automotive belts available at auto parts stores) it softens the outside of the tires and makes them swell slightly. Worked great since we had a minimum radius and this helped meet that. The grip was amazing. I would do a light coat the night before a race and the next day they met the min. radius and gripped like crazy and left no residue. Do not soak the whole tire in a solution, just spray it on a towel and coat the outside rim of the tire. If you soak the tire it swells so much it will be too large for the rim (voice of experience!)
great info

I will give it a shot