Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheetah kit
Hi guys,
I've just got myself a Cheetah in kit form and found it to be unlike any car I have ever built. I was expecting it to be similar to my panther but nope ?
There is no step by step instructions anywhere to build a car like this and I need help please.
Where do I start and what needs sanding or filing to fit, when do I glue parts and where?
Cheers,
Mike
Hey!  Thanks for posting.

Yes it is a different animal Exclamation

Some things I think are key to get a flat steel plate to hold the 4 traction magnets in place.  I also have a spacer that the motor magnet attach to so that the air gap is correct.

This allows me glue (black max or epoxy) the magnet in place.

More later.

But here is photo to start with.  
[Image: url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&c...2425452937]
[Image: url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&c...2425452937][Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSt7Q3QYm2mO3W7Gl1UjUi...qoikh23FRr]

Note:
I do not cut both axle slots, I only cut 1, this helps o reinforce the rear end of the car.
you could add a brace to rear end as well.
Remember to add your races to the RACE Calendar
The RACE Calendar

I Should be able to get hold of a flat steel plate to build on. Looking at the chassis I have the traction magnets don't to seem to fit with out any trimming and I wasn't ready to commit to cutting, sanding and gluing without making sure I have it all set up correctlty and assemble it in the correct order?
I would start with black max as the glue. if you make a miatake, just drop it in acetone to remove the clue and start over.

it been a while, but I tack(glue) the motor mags in 1st using an arm spacer.
next i do the L mags under the motor mags.

I do the tractions last
The RACE Calendar

I will be home this weekend, hopefully I can get some pics or a video up
The RACE Calendar

Is the arm spacer an of the shelf tool or something you have to make up ?
I assume To fit the motor mags if I used an old arm and installed the bearings in the bulkheads that would give me a pretty acurate mag position. I'm thinking a wrap or 2 of tapwould give me the minimum air gap possible, just better check the arm diameters are the same. I have a friend with a lathe that could turn me up a dummy arm if I knew what air gap was recommended.
Heading out tomorrow to run on a mates Maxtrax, have found the Tjets didn't like 15 years in storage, the panther was out and running smooth immediately. ?
Quote:Is the arm spacer an of the shelf tool or something you have to make up ?
I assume To fit the motor mags if I used an old arm and installed the bearings in the bulkheads that would give me a pretty acurate mag position. I'm thinking a wrap or 2 of tapwould give me the minimum air gap possible, just better check the arm diameters are the same. I have a friend with a lathe that could turn me up a dummy arm if I knew what air gap was recommended. 

if he can make you a dummy arm from aluminum with a small steel set screw would be good.  you do not want too much attraction to the blank.

Quote:Heading out tomorrow to run on a mates Maxtrax, have found the Tjets didn't like 15 years in storage, the panther was out and running smooth immediately. ?

the panther was a fun car
The RACE Calendar

"if he can make you a dummy arm from aluminum with a small steel set screw would be good. you do not want too much attraction to the blank."

I reckon he could ☺
I will post a pic of mine this weekend

with dimensions
The RACE Calendar

Curious, where did you get the Cheetah in kit form ?